Monday, June 18, 2012

Take the good with the bad!

We are back from our wonderful family vacation and I have been dying to share so much with all of you! First, let me tell you that we had a fantastic time and we crammed so much into one week! Legoland, SeaWorld, the beautiful beaches, seal watching, strawberry picking, swimming in our private pool... I'm sure there is tons more but right now I'm exhausted just thinking about all of that! I must confess that I haven't even finished unpacking yet, but I just HAD to sit down and share some news with you before I could do anything else!

First, I'll share the bad news so that you can better understand some of the chaos that is currently overtaking our lives. The bad news is that it looks like Ben will be leaving for Afghanistan within a couple of weeks. We have known that this was a possibility for a little while now, but we were waiting for his orders to come through before we shared it with everyone and made it "official." He actually hasn't gotten his orders yet so who knows when that will happen, but what we are being told right now is that he will probably be leaving sometime within the next couple of weeks or so. Ben will be catching up with a group that is already in Afghanistan so it should only be about a 3-4 month deployment this time. Which is AWESOME news since the last time he was gone for 15 months. It certainly makes 3-4 months sound a whole lot better (obviously I'd prefer that he didn't have to go at all, but we don't have much of a choice in that!)

Now for the good news!!!

While we were relaxing on a lovely beach my phone rang and it was our AGENCY!!!! They were calling to give me a heads up that I should be receiving a call from a social worker about a little boy who is in need of an adoptive home. While I can't share too many details at this point, I can tell you a few things about him. He is 9, almost 10, years old and has been in and out of the foster system for about four years. We have had a chance to read some of the social worker's notes and files on him and he sounds like a really wonderful child who desperately wants to have a permanent family. We will have a chance to speak with all of his case workers tomorrow (either in person or via phone, we aren't sure which yet) so it will give us a better idea of his personality and history. There is one other family that is currently being considered as a possible home for this boy, so we aren't sure what will happen but we are certainly excited to finally be getting somewhere! And the best part??? He will be coming for an overnight visit possibly as soon as THIS WEEKEND!!! Are you beginning to understand some of the chaos around here?!?!

So, needless to say we are in a bit of a tizzy, trying to clean up from our vacation, pack for Ben's deployment AND get ready to welcome this child into our home whether for a weekend or a lifetime! God sure has a crazy sense of timing, but then again, we always knew that it would be like this.

Please be praying for our this boy, specifically that he is able to find a wonderful home that he can feel safe in. Of course, we would LOVE for our family to be his home, but we would be happy to see him safe in another home if it is a better fit for him as well. Please also be praying for our family as we prepare for Ben's third trip to Afghanistan. I really have a peace about him going, but Hunter is already very sad about his daddy leaving and I know that it will be a rough time for him as well as for Ben. Thank you in advance for the prayers!!! We would not be where we are today without all of your support!!!

Okay, I have got to get unpacking and working on the millions of things that need taken care of around here. Thank you for being a part of our big news!!! I'm sure you will be hearing more from us soon!

Love,

B, E & H

P.S. Did I mention that I also signed up for another class toward my master's degree that starts next week? EEK!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment