Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What's in a name?

So, as I finished up a study on covenants in the Bible, I came to an interesting realization. I already did a post on how we are all children of God, and what that means, but as I studied covenant I realized how important our name is in relation to God as His children. Let me explain:

When God takes us into covenant He changes us and also changes our name. There are many Biblical examples of this from Abraham (formerly Abram), Sarah (formerly Sarai) and many of the disciples and apostles. Looking at other passages we find that God told the nation of Israel that they would be called by a new name (Isaiah 62:1-2). Furthermore, we are told in Revelation 2:17 that "To him who overcomes... I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him." So even though we may not be aware of our name change if we are in covenant with God, we will find out in heaven the name that He has given us! Wow!

You are probably wondering why in the world I'm giving you a lesson on covenant and name changing, but I promise that I do have a point to make! In our society today we see echos of this practice of name changing, the most common is in marriage. Often the wife will take the last name of the man she marries as a sign of their marriage covenant. I really found it to be so neat that when we finalize the adoption of whatever children God gives to us, they will take our last name as a covenant that we will always be their parents, just as God changes our names when we become His. Maybe you don't find that to be quite as interesting as I did, but in a way it made me realize just how much God must love us that he will name each of us Himself, just as we give our own children a name. And what a beautiful picture of love that we can share our last name with some of God's children!

Well, thanks for reading my rambling! Sometimes I think that this blog is more for myself than it is for anyone else because it gives me a place to record some of the crazy thoughts that often run through my head. If you enjoy reading them, I'm sure glad! And if you don't, well... just scan through to see where we are in the process and go back to whatever else you were doing. I promise that I won't be offended. :)

As a side note, yesterday I approved the final draft of our home study! This is HUGE news, except that ultimately nothing has changed because I never got a final copy or any information concerning our registration in WARE. And naturally, when I called this afternoon to ask about all of that no one answered the phone. So, as soon as I know that we are home study ready I promise that I will let you all know! In the meantime, be praying that things begin to move quickly because we are beginning to get a little nervous that we may not be able to finalize an adoption before the Army decides to send us somewhere else. But for now we just have to trust that if God has led us to it, He will get us through it!

Love you all!

B, E & H

No comments:

Post a Comment