Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Beautiful Mess

I love things that don't normally fit together, for example studying science and religion. So needless to say I love the concept of a beautiful mess. And more and more I am striving to embody this idea. Right now I know that I have the mess part down pretty well, I'm really hoping that the beautiful part will naturally follow!

Those of you who know me pretty well can probably attest to the fact that I am a typical "type A" personality (perfectionist, over-achiever, always in a rush... you get the point!) More and more I feel God REALLY challenging me to just let go and watch what he can do when I stop meddling and trying to make everything perfect on my own. Today is a pretty amazing example of that!

If you have kept up with us over the past week you know that Ben is on his way to Afghanistan. I honestly don't know exactly where he is right now (for security reasons he can't tell me, and if I knew I certainly couldn't tell you either) but I did receive a phone call from him at about 5:30 am today. He told me that he isn't yet in Afghanistan, but instead he is stuck somewhere in between and will likely be there for a few days. Poor guy! Because of this I have no idea if I will hear from him or if he will be able to gain internet access, etc. I'm sure that he is in desperate need of a shower! I digress...

This afternoon (while trying to entertain Hunter and simultaneously work on some class work) the house phone rings. I have to admit, I was a little grumpy with the guy on the other end because I had just sat down to do some reading and I certainly didn't need another interruption. I really should know better though, and of course it was a social worker from DSHS (department of social and human services) calling to see if we would be interested in possibly taking in a little boy who is 4 years old. Oh my!

In the course of our conversation he asked about Ben and I had to admit that I actually have no idea where my husband is or how to get in touch with him. I'm sure that is just what a social worker wants to hear from a prospective adoptive parent!!! However, he was gracious and we hung up with the promise that he would call one of the boy's other workers to find out about a potential home visit. He also sent me a very brief bit of information about this sweet boy, although I'm dying to find out more!

After what seemed like an eternity (and leaving him a voicemail to remind him that I was oh so patiently waiting) I got a call back. He wanted to know if he can come visit tomorrow morning and see the house so maybe this child can come visit with us this weekend or next. Here is where the mess part comes in. Since Ben has left I haven't really been focusing on my household duties. I have been working hard to keep Hunter happy and take care of my class work so the house hasn't really been my top priority. Needless to say it is not exactly in the condition that I would like it to be in for a visit with a social worker!!! So naturally I panicked :) Isn't that what any logical person would do??? I have to say, it is amazing what can be accomplished in a short amount of time when one is determined! Phew! House is clean and the social worker will be by sometime between 10 and 11 tomorrow.

I can't really give any details about this boy, which is also partially because I don't have many details. One big catch is that he is not yet legally free, meaning that he is still technically a dependant of the state and so there are a few complications with that. There is also a little more risk involved because there is always a chance that a judge could decide not to terminate the rights of the parents. However, it sounds like things are heading in a direction where it is anticipated that he will soon be legally free, which is why they are looking for a foster-adopt home for him. It also sounds like he is delayed in some areas (which is completely normal for children who are in the system) so that will be an additional challenge, but one which we were fully anticipating. As of right now we are the only family that they are considering for this boy (they had narrowed it down from 8 to just us!) so that adds a little pressure, but I am planning to take this one step at a time and just see what God has in store for us. I am praying that we can turn this situation into a beautiful mess!

So, that's our crazy life in a nutshell. There really never is a dull moment around here and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I am being stretched in ways that I would have never dreamed were possible and I cannot wait to see the outcome of all of this. Please pray for Ben, for encouragement and for safety. And that he gets my frantic email about this boy, ha! It makes me smile to even think that he could come home to a family of four :) How amazingly blessed are we?!?!

I would love to keep writing, but I'm sure you are sick of reading and I need to keep plugging away at this class in case I have another sweet child to tend to soon. See what I mean about that mess? Only God can take a situation like this and turn it into something beautiful.

Love to you all!

E & H (and Ben too, wherever he is!)

1 comment:

  1. Emily,
    I read your blog every time you post and am thinking of you always. I admire your passion and strength hang in there girl you are AWESOME
    love
    Selina

    ReplyDelete